The Digital Winners Conference was held in Oslo, Norway last week. It is Telenor’s flagship event for innovation and digital transformation. Speakers included thinkers from within the Telenor Group as well as industry leaders from SAS, Schibsted, intel, Samsung, Microsoft, and inspiring speakers like Professor Jamie Anderson from London Business School and Julie Hanna, President Obama’s Ambassador for Global Entrepreneurship. Additionally, many entrepreneurs and startups had the chance to showcase their wares and transformational technologies.
We’ve collected a few of the highlights in the form of inspiring and thought-provoking quotations. Additionally, if you click on the names of any of the speakers, we’ve linked to their original talks at the conference.
“If we never let our children climb high they’ll never learn to dream.”
“We can’t wait for educational reform, we need to keep our kids creative.”
– Jamie Anderson, Affiliate Professor of Strategy, Antwerp Management School
“People are not moving from analogue to digital anymore – they are born in digital.”
– Sigve Brekke, President and CEO of Telenor Group.
“An important thing that is missing in what we do today is art.”
– Hans Peter Brondmo, Advisor at TrueNorth Venture Partners
– Frode Eilertsen, EVP Strategy and Digital Transformation, Schibsted. ‘Glocal’ is a term used by Eilertsen to emphasize the global focus on local communities (and is is a portmanteau of ‘global’ and ‘local’).
“What is the value of data and how do you monetize it?”
– Peter Gleissner, VP Sales & Marketing, Intel
“I have 6 main dreams which can be separated into 3-6 sub-dreams, which I would really like you to prioritise!”
– Anita Krohn Traaseth, CEO of Innovasjon Norje, transforming Martin Luther King Jr.’s I Had a Dream speech to make light of the Norwegian tendency to complicate and obfuscate business ideas.
“We develop towards a society of Prosumers.”
– Toril Nag, CEO of Lyse
“We can’t invent new technology ourselves, we need to work with startups. “
– Eivind Roald, EVP Commercial, SAS
“More than 70% of consumers in Europe are willing to share their data in exchange for a cheaper insurance.”
– Per Simonsen, SVP of IoT at Telenor
“We need to be relentlessly user-centric.”
– Sindre Østgård, CEO of Tinius Trust
Additionally, the finalists in both the Nordic IoT Challenge and the Best App in Asia competitions gave pitches. Here are the three finalists from each group, including the winners (from Sweden & Myanmar, respectively).
Finally, we have a few notable quotations from one speaker in particular:
“The access to opportunity is the most important difference between us.”
“Talent is universal. Opportunity is not.”
“[Technology] can give power to those who don’t have it.”
“Entrepreneurs are the world’s biggest change agents.”
“If this room represented the world’s population, either you or the person next to you would live on less than two dollars a day.”
– Julie Hanna, US Presidential Ambassador for Global Entrepreneurship
For more information on the Digital Winners Conference, check out digitalwinners.no.